Saturday 3 March 2018

The Library Challenge - The Hobbit

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."   - J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit  I read this first in the 2nd grade. I love Tolkein.
Today is the second challenge on my new challenge blog - The Library Challenge. The book is The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien  and you can take inspiration from the cover or the title or the story. 

Despite having had this book on my shelf for many years, I have never finished it! I was given a copy by my Auntie - it was one of  her favourite books and for years I felt guilty that I just couldn't get into it. Recently, I spotted it in the audiobooks section of my local library online service so I thought I'd give it enough try, this time, just listening. But no, beyond the description of The Hobbit and his house that I'd read many times, I just did not enjoy the story enough to finish it. And yet, every time 
I think of The Hobbit, I think of my lovely Auntie (now gone) , so perhaps I should stop feeling guilty and just enjoy the memories. 

For my first card I was inspired by the woodland setting . I stamped a Stampscapes wood onto watercolour paper and coloured it with Brushos. Then I used gold watercolour paint to colour parts of the bark., to give it a magical gleam. I mounted it on a green card base which I'd embossed with a folder.

I'd like to enter :
Craft Stamper  Take it , Make it 
Happy Little Stampers  watercolour / home - the woodland was the Hobbit's home. 
QKR Stampede  anything goes 
Simply Create Too  use green 


My second card, unfortunately , looks better in real life than in the photo, and was inspired by the book cover. The background was made with Distress Oxide Inks . The mountains and sentiment are Pink Fresh Studio and the shooting star is Concord and 9th.  The mountains and star sparkle with shimmer pen.

I'd like to enter:
Make My Monday  messy backgrounds
Dragonfly Journeys  green
Through the Purple Haze anything goes

I've been so delighted by the wonderful entries in the first challenge and I hope you'll come over to the blog and join in this one.


13 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Not the book I was expecting, but one I read years ago and quite liked. What I do like is that wonderful, iconic cover. Got everything planned for challenge #1... mmmm, need to get my thinking cap on for this one! Thanks for all the fun, Jo x

Mac Mable said...

Wow to your first atmospheric card and super CAS second card x Great book choice x

Ros Crawford said...

Whilst I've never read the books I've watched all the hobbit films and loved them! Your cards are wonderful and I especially love the first card ... so beautifully done!

Sian said...

Some great cards. I love your background and the colours you've used. Thank you for joining us at Make My Monday. Sian.

Donna said...

What fantastic cards for your great challenge and great choice for your book!

Pia S said...

I haven’t finished this series and I don’t think I’ve seen all the films, I’m not that into it either. However, what a great book cover to take inspiration from and a great way to honour your late aunt. I really love the first card, the colors blend perfectly for a magical forest scene. Your second card is clean and cute, I never seem to capture sparkle in my photos either, but I can picture it in my mind.

Sherri said...

Great cards. Especially love the first one. Great background and perfect for the trees! Thanks for joining our weekly challenge at QKR Stampede!

Julie Odil said...

Gorgeous! Love those trees! Thanks for joining us this week at QKR Stampede Challenge Blog! Julie, DT member

Janis Lewis said...

Cute! Thanks for joining us at Through the Purple Haze.

Jeannie said...

Hi Marina! They are both beautiful in their own way, and a great representation of the book cover. Thanks so much for joining my Going Green blog challenge :)

Jeannie T.
Dragonfly Journeys

Erica said...

Fabulous rendition of a book cover. I never would have thought to create a card using it as a jumping point.
Thanks for joining in with Simply Create Too challenge no. 136, Use Green. Play again with us next month.
Erica (Simply Create Too DT Member)

BożenA said...

Beautiful work with watercolors. A great card.
Thank you for joining our challenge at HLS Watercolor.
BożenA DT HLS

Tanja said...

love both cards - thanks for sharing your Project at the Happy Little Stampers Watercolour Challenge